A knocked-out tooth is one of the most serious dental emergencies there is, requiring immediate attention. If it happens to you or to someone you know, remember us at OnCall Dental in Fresno.
Something we cannot stress enough: you’re in a race against the clock. If a knocked out tooth is treated within an hour, there is a very good chance the tooth can be saved.
In the meantime, here are some things you can do before getting to our office:
- Find the tooth.
- Do not touch the root; pick it up by the crown (the chewing part).
- Clean it. You can rinse it off in water, or lick it if need be.
- Put it back in place. This only applies to adult teeth. Baby teeth are not re-inserted; it could damage the adult tooth beneath it.
- Put a handerchief over it and bite down to keep it in place
- If you cannot get it back in place, put the tooth in milk, or under your tongue.
Once you’re here, we will numb the area. If you were able to get it in the socket we’ll make sure it is properly positioned. Once we’ve taken x-rays and are satisfied the positioning is good, we’ll splint it in place so it can heal. This takes about two weeks.
If you were unable to find the knocked-out tooth, your options include getting a dental implant to replace it.
People get a tooth knocked out millions of times every year. It is among the most serious dental emergencies there is, but we’ve had a lot of experience and you’ll be in good hands. You can call ahead on your way in, but you don’t need an appointment and walk-ins are always welcome. At OnCall Dental in Fresno emergency dental care is our specialty.