A knocked-out tooth is one of the most serious dental emergencies there is. When it happens, it literally becomes a race against time, but if you keep cool and act quickly, the tooth can be saved at OnCall Dental in Fresno and Hanford.
First, a clairification: a knocked out tooth really is that: a tooth that is knocked out of your head. It is not to be confused with a chipped or broken tooth. Those may be inconvenient, and may also require the attention of a specialist. But they are not as urgent as a knocked out tooth.
What You Should Do
Above all else, remember that time is of the essence. If it’s treated within an hour, the chances are good it can be saved.
Here is what you should do:
- Find the tooth. Do not touch the root; pick it up by the crown (the part you bite or chew with).
- Rinse the tooth off if it’s dirty, but do not use soap. If no water is handy, it’s okay to click it clean.
- Try to position the tooth back where it was knocked from. Place a wadded handkerchief or paper towel over it and gently bite down to keep it in place.
- If you cannot get it back in place, put the tooth in milk. If no milk is handy you can just put it under your tongue.
- Head straight to our office. Call ahead if you can!
All of the above applies only to adult teeth. If a child has a baby tooth knocked out, do not try to reinsert it. The attention of a dentist is still essential.
When treated promptly the chances are good that the tooth can be re-implanted, and will grow back into the gums.
At OnCall Dental in Fresno and Hanford emergency dentistry and have treated many knocked out teeth. In serious cases no appointment is necessary. Walk-ins are always welcome!